Landis General Store is one of those storefronts that defines the character and history of Larchmont Boulevard. Harkening back to a simpler time, family-owned, always someone who knows your name—this is a store that time forgot.
Lucky for us, the store, located at 142 N. Larchmont Blvd., recently underwent a “freshening up” and is reopen for business. Devoney Wolfus, daughter of original co-owner Christine Wolfus and current owner of Landis Labyrinth, decided to take over the store and give it a facelift. She opened up the space, changed the lighting, added rustic flooring and painted the walls to give it a warm, welcoming feel.
Landis General Store originally existed to sell daily necessities in the neighborhood: sewing and crafts, housewares, clothing, and office and school supplies are just a sample. The new version stays true to the original while reorganizing with a cleaner look. Arts and crafts supplies are in the rear, while clothing, greeting cards, gifts and housewares can be found closer to the front.
Arthur Landis opened the original Landis Department Store in 1933 at 157 N. Larchmont Blvd. His son Bob Landis later took over until the name was sold to Chris Wolfus and Edie Frere. The General Store, along with Edie Frere’s Landis Gifts & Stationery and Landis Labyrinth, are all offshoots of the original.
From the brisk business the stores receive from the locals, it’s a business model the neighborhood needs and loves.
By Sondi Sepenuk