OASIS Christian Church to move to new home

| November 30, 2012 | 0 Comments

The landmark edifice was the first church built on Wilshire Blvd. in 1926

The “For Sale” sign at Wilshire Christian Church has been taken down.

New owners of the landmark church at Wilshire Blvd. and Normandie Ave. are members of  Oasis Christian Church.

Oasis will be moving in the near future from its present headquarters at Wilshire near Highland, a former movie theater.

“We at Oasis are grateful for the legacy, history and heritage of Wilshire Christian Church,” said church director Alex Moreno-Jones. “We are excited to have a new church home that will serve the community and be a gathering place that is diverse, contemporary and life-giving for all generations.”

Wilshire Christian membership has dropped from several thousand to less than 100 the past 20 years. It closed several years ago.

The landmark edifice was the first church built on Wilshire Blvd. in 1926 on property owned by the Chapman brothers. The neo-Romanesque-Gothic design is the work of architect Robert Orr.

Its eight-sided belfry served as a beacon to the ever-increasing populations of the 1920s and 30s moving westward.

The interior is noted for its hand-carved wood in the sanctuary and steel arches 75 feet above the floor.

The Rose Window, a replica of the one at the Reims Cathedral in France, was created by the Judson Studios of Hancock Park.

Tags: , ,

Category: Community

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Find college application essay writing service at http://www.essaywriting-service.org/